Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Charlie4
New Contributor

BPD- Anyone else out there been diagnosed?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd put myself out there to find some similar peeps. I have been diagnosed this year with bpd and am feeling super alone. I see a psych once a fortnight yet not sure if that is really helping. I would love to chat with someone that has this diagnosis about what works for them.....

xx

7 REPLIES 7

Re: BPD- Anyone else out there been diagnosed?

Hey,

I was diagnosed with traits of BPD and ADHD this year, this is the first time i've looked for support online. I try to live the healthiest lifestyle i can.

Firstly, exercise really helps for me, even walking for 15 minutes a day is beneficial, but vigorous exercise is the way to go. 

Eat healthy food, maybe it is just me, but i can't stress how good i feel after eating a healthy meal in comparison to junk food. I dont know what you can or can't eat but plenty of fruit and vegetables, nuts if you can, your proteins and simple carbs for energy.

Meditation, this took me a while to get, but i'm so grateful that i stuck to it, its taught me to become less reactive in stressful situations and its really relaxed me overall as a person. I use an app called "Calm," I think it's free.  

Limit social media, if you use it regularly, im not suggesting you dont keep in touch with friends and family but if you constantly find yourself scrolling for excessive amounts of time and watching pointless videos and reading pointless articles, it may benefit you to limit scoial media to a certain amount of time for a certain time of the day.

Read books, as corny as they can be,i love a good a self help book, sometimes they can have one solid idea that can help you manage or crisis or deal with a couple of stressful weeks.

Write in a journal, track your thoughts and figure out your triggers. Once you identify your triggers it becomes a lot easier to manage them. A journal can help keep you organised, im really unorganised due to my ADHD,  so im not sure if this is relevant in your case, but having a journal keeps me on track, it gives me small goals that i can accomplish during the day, it keeps me busy and takes my mind off negative thoughts im having. 

Involve yourself in the community, play a sport, or try a new hobbie. I have recently hurt my back so i cant participate in the sports that i used to. I started doing pilates to help my fix my back but the sense of community i get from the people i do it with really can help my mood, i can walk in there feeling very low and walk out feeling very motivated, happy and optimistic. 

Avoid drugs and alcahol, it's just going to make it worse. I like the odd drink here and there, but i do it knowing how shit i will feel the next day. if i do it too regularly it really sends me off track and symptoms become more prominent. 

Study your condition,  I find studying different methods, while  still taking on the advice of my psych, helps to clarify my perspective on things. If your psych isn't working for you dont feel bad for changing, dont feel like you're giving up, sometimes the connection isn't there and a psych who is perfect for you could be out there, i still struggle to find someone i can talk to. If you're going to research online, make sure it's a reliable source, there are so many negative sources of information out there that will send you on a bad path, look up something DBT related. 

Look up radical acceptance, it has saved me in some really shit situations.

Don't get so caught up on the diagnoses, when i first got diagnosed for both disorders i felt so releived because i finally knew where i belong. I know that sounds weird, but when i could label what was going on in my head a sense of comfort came from identifying the issue and being able focus on fixing it. This feeling soon resided and i felt that this label was a burden and i started to compare myself to people who didnt have to deal with it.  Of course you have to figure out strategies with your psych, and if you are on any medication you have to take that accordingly but the diagnoses of mentall illnesses is murky water. People who have been diagnosed with a mood disorder or a personailty disorder probably have traits of BPD so dont get too caught up on identifying yourself as someone with BPD like your some sort of outcast, you may live with it, but it's only one part of your life. I manage to mental illness according to my diagnoses by using DBT strategies but i try not make it my life. live a little. 

Remember, this is a treatable disorder, you can live a normal life if you really work at it, and it is worth working at it. My sister was also diagnosed, she found herself in some really dark places and but  now she is happily married to a beautiful husband, and they have three beautiful kids. 

If you are feeling lonely, dont be afraid to reach out to someone you havent spoken to in a while, as long as it wont bring up any old bad feelings. Call a family meber or an old friend, get in touch with someone you trust, you dont hvae talk about how you are feeling even having small talk with someone can make you feel better.

I still have my rough patches, hence why im on this website messaging you, but i'm a lot better than what i used to be, and i owe to it to the stuff that i have written down for you.

Good luck.

Thanks so much. These are great tips. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out 🙂

Hi @Charlie4 and to you too @cheedmarlow

Great to see you both supporting each other in your experiences. There are a lot of other members that have dealt with the process of being diagnosed with BPD and all that is included in that. Wonderful that you have taken the courage to reach out for connection here. The forums can take a little time to get used to, but stick with it - there are plenty of peers about to talk to. 

Here are some other threads you can join the discussion on BPD in as well:

BPD - I have no place I belong

Wondering if anyone else deals with this

And there is also a past Topic Tuesday event here that looked into BPD that you may enjoy having a read of. You might also like to drop into some of the social areas here and meet other members and enjoy some distractions  ☺️

hello @Charlie4 and welcome!

I have been diagnosed with BPD and i know other lovely members who also have BPD @Sans911 @BlueBay

it can feel very lonley at times, but we are here for you. im glad you are seeing a psychologist, it can take time to see any difference, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

How have you been since your first post?

oh and here are some threads you might find useful 

BPD

Coping Strategies

Coping Box

Hi @cheedmarlow @Charlie4

I have been diagnosed with BPD about 8 yrs ago.  Along with depression, complex ptsd and anxiety it is difficult for me to work out how to live my life.  Thakns for the tag @outlander 🙂

I am on certain medications that help with my moods and my depression.  There is no specific med for BPD.  

DBT (dialetical behaviour therapy) is the way to go for bpd sufferers.  I am trying to get into one but it is difficult as my finances are not allowing me to do this at the moment.

I am happy to chat to both of you any time.  Just tag me and i will be happy to chat.

I must admit that what @cheedmarlow has suggested to you @Charlie4 are all great suggestions.  I have started walking every day (we have a walking thread if you want to join us in walking!!!) and this is a good way to get my head out of dark thoughts at times.

Eating healthy is another great suggestion 🙂

take care

BB 🙂

Good afternoon @BlueBay, @Charlie4, @outlander, @cheedmarlow

Hello @cheedmarlow, way to go ,  great information my friend , thank you

I have a lot of physical problems

and my husband has bipolar 11 and inherited depression and aniety and other diagnosis, and 2 of my 4 step children have adhd

how is everyone today

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance