Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: New wave of anxiety

Thank you @outlander. I find that helping others takes my mind off my own things too.

I know I've got to kick on with exposure therapy. I tried some mashed potato today but it was a disaster, my throat closed up as soon as I put a tiny bit in my mouth. So I'm still on liquids. Added to that is my old fear of contamination, so I can't have anything by myself, and won't try any thing new in case I have an allergic reaction which is stupid because I've never been allergic to anything in my life!!

I just want to be normal!!

I had an introductory session with an Hypnotherapist the other day, so I'll have some next week. I'm hoping it will at least slow down the trigger response. I'll let you know what it's like. Best case scenario is I'll wonder why I didn't do it years ago. But even some calming of my mind is a win.

I'm not shaking all day now, I'm too tired.

I just want to know why this is happening, and why it's been so debilitating. I sometimes wish my depression would take over so the fear goes away, know what I mean??

its your anxiety @SwearyCyn it doesnt make it easy for us. have you been speaking to your psychlogist about your fears surrounding food and ways that might help you?

whats normal, no one is normal. each of us is different in out own unique way but i can see where your coming from as i think the same things quite often myself. for you it would be able to jsut eat normally. for me its to be able to walk out of the house without feeling overwhelmed

i hope hypnotherapy helps you, thatll be a really good thing, even if it takes a few sessions. jsut remeber things wont change overnight ok

and yeah i know exactly what you mean. Heart

Hi @SwearyCyn,

I am brand new, and recently suffered from a panick attack.  I have the same sensations that things are getting caught in my throat.  I try to eat, and it feels like they are getting caught at the back of my throat.  But it has been going on for almost two weeks! I wanted to check in and see if you have recovered from your symptoms.  I hope all is well!

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you, I know how frightening it is! I do still get that feeling, I know it's anxiety but sometimes when I'm tired or anxious, it still happens. Practice your grounding and meditation during the day to manage your anxiety, and always have a glass of water handy when you're eating, and take it slow. It will get better if you manage your anxiety overall, I promise. I found that EMDR therapy helped a lot with my GAD, and with this issue (I have a fear of medication so pills are not an option for me). It takes a while but it's amazing. Find a psychologist that does it and they can help a lot. It will get better, and remember it's your anxiety playing tricks on you, there is nothing physically wrong with you. I know how you feel and you will get through it 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance