Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Starting therapy - need a sounding board and feedback

Yes I realise this @Former-Member  and it hurt so much because I did like my treating team, 

I have bp11, PTSD panic disorder and aspects of paranoia. I hadn't had any therapy on the paranoia but that was the reason given. At the time they were looking into finding me a GP. So I ended up that day with no support what so ever no medication as they 'supported' me not taking it and no GP. This was at the end of Aug. last year. So I can now understand people's reluctance to reach out. I can't do that now, I have a GP now and now found out I have a brain aneurysm at least I found out what was causing me so much pain.  I still like them, just don't understand why.

take care 🌺

@Former-Member wrote:

This is just a reminder to members that we all have different experiences and therapy has been incredibly helpful to a lot of people. I encourage anyone who is considering therapy to explore the different types of therapy and therapists available and define their own goals to determine whether or not and with whom therapy may be helpful for them.

Fair enough.

But it's a pity that exploring your options isn't more straightforward. I know there are a lot of places with information sheets and the like (including this website). But there's a lot of vaguery and a lot of omissions. It's not easy to DIY wade through.

Eventually, it seems you just get to a point where all you can do is just dive in to the system, and that's when you can get really stuck.

@Former-Member wrote:

@Former-Member what about if you want to continue with therapy and your psychologist tells you that therapy isn't suitable for you? This has caused me so much trauma. 

IMHO, any therapist who tells a patient that they can't help them should be obligated by law to inform that patient of the best port-of-call they know of for that patient to recieve the help they are asking for.

I wonder if there's any official mechanism for therapists to reach out to some higher power (i.e. government, ect.) when they find themselves in a situation where they can't direct their patients to any actual help? It seems that a therapist ought to be able to say to someone: "My patient needs 'X' type of help, but I don't know anybody who provides it!"

In an age where we are devoting so much time and effort trying to figure out why patients aren't getting what they need out of the system, it seems that such a system for logging indicents of unsatisfied requests for help would be an important data collection tool.

Hi @Powderfinger,

Sounds to me you did the best thing, whatever happens with possible friendship in the future.

I became very infatuated with my first psychiatrist of 12 years. It was very painful for what seemed some months. A good resolution was reached. But I would always now avoid the painful passion of those feelings I went through.

May it be well with your new therapist.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance