Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

I just want to thank everyone for their beautiful contributions tonight! I also wanted to share some further resources if anyone is interested in getting into these topics further:

FURTHER READING AND RESOURCES

Self-advocacy & your rights

The UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Mental health statement of rights and responsibilities 

Speak Up Be Heard- Self Advocacy Toolkit 

[Podcast] The Square Peg - 98. (S8-E6) The fight for equality in education and work: an inspiring st... 

Self-advocacy for the NDIS Workbook

Self-Advocacy Toolkit - Mental Health Family & Friends Tasmania

How to Think More Assertively Module 

Mental Health Advocacy e-learning 

Activism

Self-Care for Advocates 101

Staying Resilient Workbook by Amnesty International 

How Call Out Culture Is A Catalyst For Intersectionality At Work

Doing Activism My Way by Carly Findlay

The Revolution Starts With Me! Promoting Self Care & Preventing Activist Burnout by Nicole Clark & A...

Effective Activist Zine - An Evidence-Based Guide to Progressive Social Change

How to Use Activism as Self-Care

How to be an Activist Without Burning Out

[Podcast] Unlocking Us with Brené Brown- Brené with Laverne Cox on Transgender Representation, Advoc...

Solidarity with Palestine: Free Resources and Further Reading | Verso Books

Why self-care and collective wellbeing are critical to winning change

Self-development, recovery and personal growth tools

Improving Assertiveness Self-Help Resources

A bill of rights for confidence, self-esteem and assertiveness 

Developing Balanced Core Beliefs

Living Into Our Values - Brené Brown

The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action by Audre Lorde 

[Podcast]: Paradigm Shift with Ayandastood- Episode 10 Finding Your Voice

Polyvagal Theory: A Science of Safety by Stephen W. Porges

Why Healing Trauma Starts with Creating Safety

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

@Cali_Rose  you won’t recognise yourself after you travel. 
The first time I travelled by myself overseas, I came home feeling like I could conquer the world. LOL

G

As we start to wrap up tonight’s discussion, I would like to thank everyone who joined us for this discussion this evening, and those who have been reading along for your contributions, being here and sharing this space with us 😊 Thank you @oscbeep  for sharing your experiences, knowledge and tips with us, and some great resources too! Another big thank you to @TideisTurning for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us tonight as well. I’ll also leave everyone with a few other resources you might want to look at 😊  

Also, if you’d like to give some input for our Topic Tuesday events, please feel free to provide feedback in this optional survey for us to improve your experience with Topic Tuesday events: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=-dtpS9ZDL0Ov4LGmU8tQHrHkZ0QHzr1GtULYkv4iG8VUOTBF... 

If you would like to keep the discussion going after this evening or if you have any other questions on this topic, please feel free to head over to the Lived Experience side of our forums.  

And with that, we will end our discussion here 😊 Thank you again everyone and have a great rest of your night! 

Thanks @oscbeep.. Could you rephrase your suggestion about the disability advocate please? I'm not clear on what you're saying.  Sorry I'm really struggling tonight. Thanks

Further to @oscbeep's point about pointing to public figures, as a few options, Listenable might have some gems to draw from 😊

Thank you @TideisTurning , @amber22 , @oscbeep for tonight discussion 🙂

We will be locking the thread in a minute, but feel free to continue this discussion on another thread and tag each other! 🙂 Good night everyone!

Of course @Cali_Rose - I was suggesting sometimes that if there is public disability advocate that you can share with your son. He might respond to the message of detisgmatising of your diagnosis if it comes from a different source. I would suggest checking out one of my personal favourites on Instagram @adisabledicon who is not a full time wheelchair user and an amazing advocate! 

Thank you so much @amber22 and @TideisTurning for organising tonight and a HUGE thank you to everyone that joined in on the conversation and anyone else that might be following along! ❤️

Thanks so much everyone for being here, your contributions and sharing this space with us! @Shaz51 @Cali_Rose @Glisten @Loiter @Quilly @Oaktree & everyone, also to @amber22 for leading the discussion tonight and the incredible @oscbeep for sharing your passion, time & wisdom with us. This one's been super special for me and I feel privileged to have been part of it with all of you 😊💚

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance