Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

HAPPY NAIDOC WEEK

Happy NAIDOC week everyone.

NAIDOC Week is a special time in Australia that celebrates the culture, history, achievements of Aboriginal andTorres Strait Islander people. The Theme for this year is For Our Elders. I will attach the artwork for this year and information about it below.

During NAIDOC Week people both First Nations and allies gather to learn and share stories, dance, music, and art. Its a chance to acknowledge the contributions First Nations Australians have made to the country and celebrate. Many events and activities are on like cultural performances, workshops and community festivals. If you google NAIDOC events in your area something will pop up.

It is also a time to reflect on the challenges faced by the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and work towards reconcilliation.

NAIDOC Week is an important opportunity for everyone to come together and show respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.

Personally, I am First Nations man from the lands of the Arrernte (pronounced Arunda) people.  My household is made up of both strong ally’s and proud First Nations people.

NAIDOC week to me is an opportunity to show off what I am so proud of,  take my children to events, and connect with other mob.

Share below, with privacy as a consideration, what you plan on doing this week to celebrate, and show support. Also, what can you do after NAIDOC week to continue this support 

30 REPLIES 30

Re: HAPPY NAIDOC WEEK

How beautiful is this artwork. Everyone I look at i feel so much pride. You see a new thing in it every time you look at it. 

F2936313-61CF-433A-AD39-A33A5332363B.png

Directly from the NAIDOC website.
https://www.naidoc.org.au/2023-poster

“ 

Bobbi Lockyer, a proud Ngarluma, Kariyarra, Nyulnyul and Yawuru artist, born and based on Kariyarra Country in Port Hedland, is the winner of the prestigious National NAIDOC Week Poster Competition for 2023 with her entry, For Our Elders.

“Where there is knowledge there are our Elders. Our Elders paved the pathways for us, taught us our knowledge, our history, they passed down their art, stories and wisdom. Our Elders are the foundation of our communities and role models for our children. With this poster I wanted to showcase how important our Elders are in passing down traditions and culture to our children and future.” said Bobbi. “ 

Thank you so much for these heartfelt posts @ArraDreaming .

Since connecting on these forums, I am so much more conscience of the wrongs of the past and how we can now celebrate the people whose land we reside on.

With my family, I plan to share stories to celebrate our First Nations people, their culture, and their beliefs. 

I also acknowledge First Nations people in my work, my social life, and my interactions with people. I share what I have gleaned from reading first hand accounts of the life of Indigenous Australians.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 7.05.11 pm.png

Thank you @tyme

I love to share story’s and educate others.

Back when I went to school I remember Australian education being limited to information on the first fleet (maybe if lucky), and then in later years watching the rabbit proof fence. That’s it. That was in the early 2000s. I was not given an opportunity to share my culture, in fact I was often ostracised for it.

It is amazing how in 2023 we have First Nations children doing performances and talks in their own schools, guest presenters, art work,there is one school in my region who was given an exemption by the department of education to run a First Nations class instead of language class (Italian, French once per week etc). How sick is that.

We have come so far.

It sounds that your learning at school was more than mine... Mine was just Captain Hook, and a few dream time stories. That's IT. Such a shame @ArraDreaming 

I never knew about the rich culture of our First Nations people.

I really appreciate you sharing your insights.

We learn a new word from this every night as a family @tyme

https://arrernte-angkentye.online/ecall/

Do you boys know some of these words @ArraDreaming ?

Some of them, mostly the names of fish and nature, because we are on it all the time we are always talking about it, they will point and say the traditional names for some things eg moon (atnyentye). the little one just copies what he hears it’s a bit cute he’s just a tot still learning english, they both probably don’t get any of words spot on but they try and it’s cute @tyme

I've just gone through some of the words and tried to pronounce them. It's not easy @ArraDreaming !

Is there a difference when referring to males or females e.g. in english, 'he' and 'she'.

Looking at the spelling, I can't form the words. Is there your own alphabet?

It’s not easy! And our 2yo speaks a lot what we call ‘minion’ when he tries to speakEven in English so no pressure it’s just for fun haha.
The 5yo quite enjoys it and when he points things out to me and says hey dad look at that ___ it makes me really proud.

I don’t think there is a different between he/she, I think re is both? also I don’t know about an alphabet but I agree the written is not like the spoken (to us primarily English language speakers) so Im actually not sure great question @tyme
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance